A project reference is a property that you can set for a project so that all or some of the project items can be referenced by another project.
When one project references another, the items (Jobs, Metadata, Business Modeler and so on) in the referenced project are available for reuse.
When one project is stored on SVN or Git, its items are structured in trunk or main and branches so that the reference can be established at either levels to provide more flexibility in project usability.
- Only Git is supported for project collaboration on Talend Cloud.
- You can establish references between projects only if the type of the project to be used as a reference is subordinate to the type of the referencing project. For example, a Data Management project can be used as a reference for a Master Data Management project and not vice versa.
- You need to have read-write access to the projects only for migration purposes upon migrating to a new version or applying a patch.
- You cannot:
- define two or more branches of a project as references to another project.
- create a reference connection between an SVN managed project and a Git managed one.
- create a cycle of references between two projects.
- have project items (Jobs, Contexts, Metadata, etc.) with the same name in both a project and its reference.
The procedure below describes how to define a project reference in Talend Studio. You can also create and manage project
references in Talend CommandLine using the
commands. For more information on these commands, check the
For more information about working with referenced projects, see Working with referenced projects.
Before you begin
Right-click the Referenced project node in the Repository tree
view and select Reference Projects Setting from the contextual menu
to open the Reference Projects Setting view.
Alternatively, you can click on the Studio tool bar, or select File > Edit Project Properties from the menu bar, and then select Reference Projects on the left panel of the dialog box to open the Reference Projects Setting view on the right.
- In the Add new reference area, click the button to retrieve the projects you can set as referenced projects.
- From the Project list, select the project you want to add as a referenced project.
- From the Branch list, select a branch on which the project is established.
Click the button to add the
selected project to the Current references area.
In the Current references area, you can delete a referenced project by selecting it and clicking the button.
Click OK to validate the project reference settings and close
the dialog box.
The Studio will log in to the main or referencing project again to apply the project reference settings.
The defined referenced project is displayed in the Repository tree view.