Talend Data Preparation is able to connect to various data sources to create new datasets.
In this example, you want to prepare some customers data that is stored on Salesforce. You will enter your Salesforce connection information, directly in the Talend Data Preparation interface and create a new dataset from this data.
- In the Datasets view of the Talend Data Preparation homepage, click the white arrow next to the Add Dataset button.
The Add Salesforce dataset form opens.
- In the Dataset name field, enter the name you want to give your dataset.
- In the Salesforce URL, enter the specific URL to the Salesforce environment you want to access.
In the Username, Password and
Security token fields, enter your Salesforce connection
Note: If you have lost your Salesforce security key, you can find it in the email you received when you last changed your Salesforce password. If you have also lost this email, you can reset your security key by logging into your Salesforce account and clicking .
Click Test connection.
If the connection is successful, the second part of the form is displayed, where you can enter a query or directly choose a Salesforce module from the list proposed. If not, an error message is displayed, detailing why the connection failed.
In the Source type field, choose one of the following
- Select the Module
selection radio button and choose from the Salesforce module drop-down list.
When a module is selected, the Column selection menu opens, where you can select which column you want to add to your dataset.
In the Condition field, you can then enter a query to select the data to be extracted,
name like '%talend_user%'for example.
- Select the SOQL query radio button and in the
Query field, enter the query for the information that
you want to retrieve.
- Select the Module selection radio button and choose from the Salesforce module drop-down list.
- Click the Add dataset button at the end of the form.
The data is still stored in Salesforce, Talend Data Preparation only retrieves a sample on-demand.
The dataset is added to the list in the Datasets view of the homepage.