An informal description of a Security Token Service is that it is a web service that offers some or all of the following services (among others):
- It can issue a Security Token of some sort based on presented or configured credentials.
- It can say whether a given Security Token is valid or not.
- It can renew (extend the validity of) a given Security Token.
- It can cancel (remove the validity of) a given Security Token.
- It can transform a given Security Token into a Security Token of a different sort.
- A client of the service can ask an STS for a Security Token of that particular type, which is then sent to the service provider.
- The service provider could choose to validate the received token locally, or dispatch the token to an STS for validation.
For more information about the usage of Security Token Service, please read the STS chapter in the Talend ESB Infrastructure Services Configuration Guide.