Creating a new model
- Go to or .
- Right-click the repository icon from the repository manager or click the Add button from the configuration manager.
- Click Model. or
- Fill in the following fields:
Field Description NAME Type in the name of the model. IMPORT SERVER Select the import server.
For example, you can use the default server or a remote metadata harvesting server.
IMPORT BRIDGE Select the source technology tool or format from the drop-down list.
You can filter the bridge list by using the search box.
You can sort the bridges by clicking Vendor or Category in GROUP BY.
- Click OK.
- In the Overview tab, you can add a description and labels and assign stewards.
- In Options, you can enable or
disable the Propagate documentation
option. By default, this option is disabled.The Propagate documentation option allows you to control the propagation of data documentation. It only applies to diagrams, join relationships, business names and descriptions and custom attributes.
- If you leave the check box clear, the propagation of documentation occurs from the latest model version only.
- If you select the check box, the propagation of documentation occurs
from an old model version.
It is recommended to enable this option only when you need to change a piece of documentation and propagate this change from an old version to the newer versions. Once done, disable the option to avoid conflicts or the propagation of unexpected changes in the newer versions.
- Save your changes.
Configuring the import parameters
- Click the Import Setup tab to set up the import parameters.
- Click the row of each parameter and fill in the information according to
the documentation displayed in the Help
The fields of the parameters vary depending on the selected import bridge.
- Click Test to test the connection.
- Save your changes.
Configuring the import options
- Click the Import Options tab to configure the import options.
- In Data, set up the following options to
generate data profiling and sampling:
- Data Sampling: Select the check box to enable the data sampling during the import and define the number of rows for preview.
- Data Profiling: Select the check box to enable the data profiling during the import and define the number of rows to profile.
- Data Hiding: Select the check box to hide the profile and sample data by default.
You can verify in the bridge specifications if data profiling is supported.
- In Send email notification when an
import, select one or more checkboxes to enable notifications
when a new import is finished.
- fails for any reason: Talend Cloud Data Catalog sends email notifications if the import has failed.
- succeeds bringing changes: Talend Cloud Data Catalog sends email notifications if the import has succeeded and a new version of the model has been created.
- completes but there are no changes: Talend Cloud Data Catalog sends email notifications if the import has been completed and no changes have been detected in the model.
You need to configure the SMTP protocol of your email server to enable this feature.
- In Import options, enable the following
options if necessary:
- Set new versions as default: Select the check box to automatically set any new imported version as the default version.
Create new versions only
when new import has changes: Select the check box to
create a new version only when changes are detected.
This option can apply to all bridges independently of the incremental harvesting capability of some bridges.
- Copy model description to content: Select the check box to apply the description of the model from the source metadata to the content version itself.
- Save your changes.
Running the import
- Click the IMPORT button.
- Optionally, enable additional options in the Import Model dialog box:
- Full source import instead of incremental: Select this check box to force a full harvesting by clearing the incremental harvesting cache. You can select this option after applying a patch that updates the bridge or after changing the bridge parameters.
- Save import troubleshooting details: Select this check box to save the import log with detailed information for support purposes.
- Do not save the imported model to the database: Select this check box to skip loading the imported metadata into the database.
- Click IMPORT to run the import.
- To monitor the operation, click the spinning gear icon on the header or go to .
- To open the log, right-click the operation then click Show log.The Log Messages dialog appears.
- If you receive the Operation succeeded result, you can open the model.
- If you receive the Operation failed result, inspect the log messages and correct the source model file accordingly.