It is used in Talend ESB to distribute feature descriptions and configuration resources throughout several Talend Runtimes, and potentially in Apache Tomcat based application servers which are used for ESB Java based Consumers and Providers. However for Apache Tomcat, only the use of resources and placeholders are possible, not the use of features. For more information on what resources, placeholders and features are, please refer to the Introduction.
When using the Provisioning Service, you will be able to:
- distribute several copies of one and the same configuration artifact over different Runtimes.
- reuse the same configuration artifacts.
- consistently update the configurations already in place over all Runtimes.
- get an overview of the current configuration settings in the different Runtimes.
- enforce consistent authorization for changing configuration artifacts in the Runtimes, auditing or logging.
The Provisioning Service supports the lookup of configuration artifacts required by the Runtime for the different artifact types. To support this, the Provisioning Service provides a lookup interface which the distributed agents will use to pull for new updates. The Service itself does not do any updates, it only manages the central configuration while the agents apply changes to the local container.
This functionality is available with Talend ESB; it is not included in the Talend Open Studio for ESB.
A User Interface is also available in Talend Administration Center, the Provisioning page, to manage the artifacts provided by the Provisioning Service, which also provides the ability to browse through the artifacts. For more information, see the Talend Administration Center User Guide.