Trace the semantic definition of a field in a report to understand its meaning.Three methods are used to provide an answer to a definition lookup and apply in the following order:
- direct semantic link from a term in a business glossary
- data flow lineage to the data warehouse or other data stores in the physical architecture and semantic up to a business glossary
- name matching between business glossary term and field name
Before you begin
- A business glossary has been created and populated.
- Glossary terms are mapped semantically to the corresponding data in the technical architecture.
- Open a model from the Repository panel or from the configuration Architecture diagram.
- Right click the object that you want to perform the definition lookup.
Select Trace Semantic Definition.
The Advanced Lineage Options dialog box opens.
- In the Trace field, select Semantic Definition from the drop-down list.
In the Options area, fill in the following fields.
Field Description Scope
Model: Within the opened model.
Configuration: Within the entire selected configuration.
Configuration Select the configuration. Display
Text/List: You can see the result in text mode.
Graph/Flow: You can see the result in graphic mode.
- Optionally, select the Save as default lineage options check box to save the above selected options as the default ones in the future.