- You have created a directory on your server machine to store all the exported files, such as dump or log files.
- You have logged on to your database as sys user with sysdba
sqlplus.exe / as sysdba
- You have created a directory object that points to the directory located on your server
machine for reading and writing
CREATE OR REPLACE DIRECTORY <directory_object_name> AS '<backup_directory_path>';
- You have granted read and write privileges on the directory
GRANT read, write ON DIRECTORY <directory_object_name> TO <user_name>;
- You have stopped Talend Data Catalog application server before performing the backup and restore tasks.
Backing up using the expdp command
- Open a command prompt window and execute the following command to backup your Oracle
database to a file and write the export log in the operating system
expdp <username>/<password> schemas=<schema_name> directory=<directory_object_name> dumpfile=<dump_file_name> logfile=<log_file_name>
Restoring using the impdp command
- Drop the schema to delete existing objects and data from the database instance. Restore will
sqlplus.exe SYS@<db_name> as SYSDBA DROP USER <user_name> CASCADE;
- Execute the following command to restore your Oracle database from a file and write the
import log in the operating system
Impdp schemas=<schema_name> directory=<directory_object_name> dumpfile=<dump_file_name> logfile=<log_file_name>
- When prompted for
/ as sysdba.
- Restart Talend Data Catalog application server.
- To ensure the optimal Talend Data Catalog application server performance, go to to run the database maintenance script.
- Right-click Run Database Maintenance and click Run operation now to update the database indexes and statistics.
For more information on the expdp and impdp commands, refer to the Oracle Data Pump documentation.
You can also use the Oracle Recovery Manager (RMAN). It is recommended to create a separate table space for the database instance and restore only from that table space. For more information, refer to Oracle Database Backup and Recovery User's Guide.