Resolution tasks aim to curate the records they contain. Data curation can consist in fixing one or several fields of the records. The outcome of a resolution task is the clean record produced by the data steward.
Curing data values and validating your modifications transition the task to the second state defined in the workflow. The workflow defined at the campaign creation determines which states are available to what data stewards. However, a task cannot be validated or even marked as ready as long as it contains at least one invalid value. And this guarantees that data which does not match your data model can go out of Talend Data Stewardship.
In this example, you need to approve product records and fix any anomalies to make sure the product catalog holds complete and accurate information. Once the records are cleansed, they can be uploaded to the Mater Data Management repository.
Before you begin
A campaign owner has created the campaign and granted you access to it.
For further information, see Adding a Resolution campaign to curate product records.
A campaign owner has assigned you tasks in the campaign.
For details, see Assigning and reassigning tasks as a campaign owner.
Otherwise, you can assign the tasks to yourself. For details, see Assigning and delegating tasks as a data steward.
- In the MY TASKS page, click the campaign name,
Product Catalog in this example, to open a list of the
tasks assigned to you.
- Click a color in the quality bar at the top of a column to filter the task list
accordingly as the following:
Option Description Green represents valid data which matches the columns type. White represents empty fields. However, an empty value for a mandatory field is marked as red, not white. Red represents invalid data which does not match the column type or the parameter set in the data model.
- Fix individual values or do a bulk fix for data in a specififc column.
- double-click an invalid value in a column, enter a new value in the field and press Enter, or
- use the functions in the right-hand panel to transform all the data in the selected column. For further information, see Transforming data in a column.
- Repeat the above step to modify all invalid values and tagg curated tasks with green.
- Click the icon next to the data record you modified to mark the task with green background, i.e. ready to be validated.
- If needed, click the curated task to display the lock icon and click the icon to put the task back to its initial state with a dark-grey background color. You need to reclick the lock icon to mark the task as ready for validation.
- Click VALIDATE CHOICES in the top-right corner of the
page to validate the modifications you have done on the records.In this example, the cleansed and validated records are moved from your list and transitioned to the TO VALIDATE step in the workflow. Data stewards who are granted the DATA VALIDATOR role can now access the tasks and approve them.
- The data stewards with the DATA VALIDATOR role decide to accept or reject the choices done on the tasks.
Approved tasks are transitioned to the Resolved state in the workflow. Rejected tasks are transitioned back to the initial step in the workflow and marked as new.